Settling in the UK can be your ultimate immigration journey if you have spent a good number of qualifying years in the UK.
The settlement in the UK can happen either after completing 5 consecutive years of residence or 10 consecutive years of residence. Once you settle in the UK you secure Indefinite Leave to Remain.
With Indefinite Leave to Remain you can move about in the UK freely without any restrictions, you can benefit from the UK’s many medical and healthcare facilities, equal job opportunities and lifestyle.
Know your eligibility to settle in the UK: ILR requirements
An individual does not automatically secure a settled status in the UK or get Indefinite Leave to Remain once they live for 5 or 10 years. You need to check your eligibility and make an online application to the UK Visa and Immigration.
The following eligibility criteria is needed to be fulfilled to secure an ILR:
- You must have lived in the UK for at least 5 years or 10 years before applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain.
- You must clear the Life in the UK test
- You must have proven English language proficiency in reading, writing and speaking.
- You must not have stayed outside the UK for more than180 days in your entire period of continuous residence in the UK
- You must not have breached any of the UK immigration and visa laws
- You must be meeting all financial obligations
Do I need to prove my financial adequacy for ILR application
All Indefinite Leave to Remain applicants must demonstrate that they meet the income requirement depending on the type of immigration status they hold. For example, a skilled worker visa holder may need to show evidence of earning a minimum salary requirement of £25,600 or higher as per the ‘going-rate’ while applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain.
ILR documentation checklist
You must show the following documents as a part of your ILR application to prove your nationality and identity.
The documents are as follows:
- Current passport with blank pages.
- The Biometric Residence Permit(BRP),if you have one
- Record of all your previously held passports
You may also need to evidence some additional documents depending on the type of immigration status you have.
- Evidence of your accommodation in the UK
- Proof that you have lived in the UK for continuous periods of 5 years.
- Any proof if you have been absent from the UK during your 5 years of qualifying time
- The documentary evidence that you and your family(partner) are living together
- Proof of the Life in the UK test being passes
- If any dependents are applying along with you, you must provide their birth certificate
- All the documents if they are not in English or welsh should be translated and submitted.
Application process for Indefinite Leave to Remain
You can apply early depending on the circumstances. You must, however, apply as early as 28 days prior to the date you wish to enter the UK borders but it could change depending on your situation. If you were able to enter the UK within a period of 3 months of your visa being granted, you may be eligible to apply 28 days before the issue date on the visa.
You can also take the support of expert immigration lawyers to represent you and handhold you through the process. A Y & J Solicitors have been successful in helping over 4000 clients secure ILR.
Stay Connect with our law blog